About me

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Winter Snow Unit

I am surprised that I am so excited about doing a unit about snow.  Considering I used to have to deal with this...

You can see how high the snow is by looking at the light post.  This is a result of a little thing called "lake effect snow."  That means you are going to get dumped on with snow on a regular basis.

But here I am now in snow-free Southern California.  Teaching kindergarteners about snow... Huh?
Snow problem! 
(I crack myself up.)
 I went out and picked up some of this. We made
some snow and each child was able to feel it. Then we made a bubble map. This was a great language development lesson. We are continuing this lesson with writing activities.

I never thought to do shared reading with nonfiction print before common core.  I made a snow fact chart and students are working on a snow fact book.



We also did some snowflake math.








Here is a YouTube video of  basically what the kids got to see.  The video uses more "Grow Snow" than I did.  (I couldn't activate the snow and record at the same time.)   
Enjoy this video and more snow unit to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment